4. Gold Jewellery Earlier than I had “S.N.L.,” I had quite a lot of gold rings that weren’t actual gold as a result of I used to be broke. I’m nonetheless not wealthy, by the best way. I bumped into my buddy Khoby [Rowe] at a Comedy Central Emmys social gathering, and I’m going, “I think I’m going to treat myself to a real gold ring — one that I can wash my hands and put lotion on and not have it turn.” And he or she was like, “Hell yeah. This ring on my hand, I treated myself, too.” And once I received “S.N.L.,” her textual content to me was like, “I think you’re allowed to get yourself a ring.”
5. Yerba Mate I’d watch buddies develop espresso addictions. It turned such part of the routine, like, “I literally can’t get my day started without this.” And I principally need a life the place I don’t want something to perform in addition to water and meals — you understand, Maslow’s hierarchy. So I don’t prefer to drink espresso, and if I do it’s as a result of I’m actually in a pinch. I desire yerba mate. I really feel like I get energized, and it’s pure, so they are saying. It might very properly be a placebo impact, however I’m OK with that.
6. “Death, Sex & Money” Podcast It’s concerning the human expertise. “Death, Sex and Money” does a terrific job of reminding us that we’re linked. And a lot of our experiences are shared no matter race, gender, faith. Consider all of the methods we’re divided as a individuals. So, I like that podcast. Large fan. The tagline is “things we think about a lot and need to talk about more.” And it’s true.
7. Prayer and Meditation I’m an individual of religion, is how I’d like to explain myself. And praying is only a dialog with God. I used to be listening to a podcast, and a visitor, who I consider is sober, mentioned that each thought, motion and phrase is an providing to God. Sort of like every thing’s a prayer. And should you can do not forget that within the second, that’s actually lovely.
8. Offerings in Los Angeles I lived in L.A. for 12 years, and I get disenchanted any time a buddy is in a unique metropolis and I have to ship them flowers. Can’t discover them elsewhere. Simply essentially the most lovely floral preparations. I’m so excited to listen to individuals’s reactions to receiving these flowers, as a result of they all the time have one thing to say. I despatched them to Melissa Villaseñor as soon as, and she or he goes, “I feel like a queen.”
9. Solange’s “A Seat at the Table” What a phenomenal physique of labor, prime to backside. I keep in mind once I first heard it, I used to be sitting on the ground in my bed room in Santa Monica, and I used to be pondering, “Great, this’ll be background noise while I get ready.” However I felt stopped in my very own tracks. I used to be like, “Whoa, what am I listening to?” I received to see her on tour for that album on the Hollywood Bowl, and I questioned, “How is she going to be able to fill this space?” As a result of I consider neo-soul as such an intimate expertise and the Hollywood Bowl is large. And he or she did — somebody’s essence and artistry can try this — and I used to be dropped at tears.
10. My Niece Sophia was born on July 25, and an image got here to my cellphone, and I used to be immediately in love. Then I’m going dwelling to Maryland, and I get to carry her, and my coronary heart simply grows 100 sizes in a approach I didn’t comprehend it might till perhaps I had my very own youngsters. I’d sit there and simply stare at her sleeping. It’s cool to seek out out the place your coronary heart can take you. I’ve by no means felt that type of love, and I feel that love opened me as much as different love.